Thursday, January 17, 2013

Real Life Illustrations of Being in the Presence of God



Many years ago on a dark night on the southern New Jersey Turnpike I cried out, “Help me Jesus!  I don’t know what to do!”

Instantly the car filled with an overpowering presence.  I could not move.  My hands were frozen to the position they had been on the steering wheel.   My arms did not move.  I stared straight ahead, but I really did not see the road or anything.

God had come into the car.  Instantly he had answered my call.  The air was intense, electric.  It was as if a giant hand were on my back, from my shoulders down to the end of my spine, and it was hugging me.  It was warm, and pulsating.  The feeling of love in that car was overwhelming.  And for perhaps thirty minutes it continued.  I know it was thirty minutes, because when I suddenly was able to move again, I looked down at the odometer and I had gone thirty miles.  God had been driving the car.  Certainly not me.

The anointing came that night, and the gifts of the spirit.  Gifts like the gifts of healing and miraculous works and prophecy and faith and more.

Following that night God came often, and began guiding me specifically.  He began giving out assignments, and as I would do them he gave more.  Gradually they moved into the major statements I refer to as the call on my life. 

That was God in the car.  Whether Jesus was sitting there beside me I do not know, for I could not turn my head. 

It was overwhelming.  I had had a direct, enormous encounter with God.  Now I had had a couple amazing things happen to me before, like the intercession of the angel in the car accident in Beverly Hills when a giant truck fell on our car.  Or a time many years ago in Houston when suddenly a voice spoke a prophetic word into my heart and mind, one I was shocked by and didn’t understand completely.  But this experience in the car was life-changing. 

I had encountered God.  He was there.  He was real.  No going back into the old standard life with church on Sunday for an hour but no real spiritual thoughts otherwise.  I knew first hand God was and is real and that he answers prayer and that he communicates now, today, with us. The Holy Spirit had come in force and power.  It was as Ephesians 1:3-4 says.  I had been marked in Christ with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing my inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession.

I was like the born again, spirit filled Christians of the early Christian centuries.  They willingly would go to their deaths rather than deny Jesus.  Why?  Because they knew God was real.  They had met him.  They had the Holy Spirit.

The world today likes to refer to some Christians as fundamentalists, and they deride those who just won’t let their Biblical principles be moved.  But you see, the world doesn’t know God.  Those who do can’t be moved and won’t give up their faith, which is absolute.

You can read more about this encounter in the car on our web site.  Just punch the testimony button in the menu column.

****************

Hearing from God is wonderful, life-changing!  A word, a sentence.  A verse of scripture suddenly coming alive as you read it, made real by the quickening power of the Spirit.  All this changes a person instantly.  It is worth more than gold.  Far more.  Just one such incident can lift a person high for days and weeks, and drive him forward in life.  And the more received, the further the person goes.

*********

The Lord speaks at diverse times and incidents, often of his own choosing and not while you are specifically sitting quietly in prayer.  Sometimes while you are walking down the street or working on something else.

A few years back I was attacked horribly by the evil side.  As we stepped out ever further in ministry, I had experienced attacks from the devil or his demons in various forms, and we had learned to apply the truths of God, to stand on the word, to cast out demons.  All that.  But this was much more.  Some of you know about it.  The attack was physical and direct and severe.  The pain was enormous.  There were moments I was not sure I would be here longer.  Several prayer warriors prayed and interceded.  Help came from the most unusual sources.  For several weeks I was dreadfully weak, so weak I did not even shave.  And I even conducted meetings unshaven, but the word of God coming through was strong.  I learned a great deal through all this.  One thing I learned is that someone in great pain and distress cannot pray, other than shouting out help me Jesus and short phrases like that.  The pain is so intense.

So a couple months after this happened I had just finished a time of reading the Bible and praying at home, and I walked into our kitchen.  Suddenly I was aware of the presence of the Lord on the other side of the counter that separates our kitchen from our dining area.  And he spoke:  “I’m never going to lose you, John.”  He said.  My eyes filled with tears.  My whole body was overcome by his presence.  My eyes are filling with tears as I write this even now.

And I said, “What did I do wrong, Lord?”

He replied, “Nothing.”

That was it.  No more words.  I have never forgotten that conversation.  I learned too that attacks come in this life from the evil side even if I did nothing wrong, and I needed to learn as much as possible as to how to protect myself and my wife and family and friends and partners and so on.  And to fight evil.  God has shown me much in that area.

But you see, he just began talking as I walked into the kitchen.


***************

Especially for a period of a few years some time back, God would speak to me in the middle of the night.  I would wake up about 3 or 4 am, or maybe 5, and I would go into another room and sit in my favorite chair with my favorite Bible and begin reading.  Usually I read Isaiah.  I have found that God comes often when I read Isaiah.  I started one night and read through the ninth chapter when he suddenly came.  In such times I have found he is sometimes open to conversation.  Not only does he pass on something he wants me to know, but I can ask a question.  Even about seemingly lighter matters.

One night we were talking about healing, and I said something about his healing in the temple, his healing everyone.  “Not everyone,” he said.  And in a minute he said, “the Pharisees,”  and I knew instantly he was referring to their religious spirit that blocked the healing of some, a situation we have encountered in various places, those who pay attention to man’s religious rules and ideas of how things should be rather than to being open to God’s truths and his presence and actions.

That particular night for some reason the subject of golf came up, and I remember Jesus saying, “It’s a silly game.”

*************

A last example of the Lord speaking to me:  We were sitting in a ministry meeting in Charlotte.  A large crowd was present, and a famous minister was teaching on the Holy Spirit.  Suddenly I heard the voice, “What are you doing here, John?”  and I realized I should not have come.  I don’t really seek out such sessions anymore, unless directed by God to do so.  My neck was hurting some at the meeting, and the Lord put his hand on my neck.  I said something about his hand being rough, and he said,” you don’t know how many times I hit that hand.”  Of course Joseph had been a carpenter, and no doubt Jesus had worked as a carpenter for years and had hit his hand many times!


***********

God is real.  Jesus is real.  The Holy Spirit is real.  The Bible is true.  The Lord is returning soon.  He has called me to preach good news to the poor, to heal the broken hearted, to give sight to the blind, and to tell people he is coming soon.  He is.  He really is.  He also has called me to write, to give my testimony, to have a prayer, preaching and healing ministry with my wife, and to feed his sheep. 

Do you know him?  Have you been in his presence?  He tells us we will find him when we seek him with all our heart. 

When you have a personal encounter with the Lord, everything else in the world recedes in importance.  It is as if everything else becomes shadows, and God is in brilliant color.  And you realize just how insignificant all the issues of the secular world are.

Don’t miss the Lord.  Don’t let Jesus pass you by.  He is coming very, very soon.
 

                                                                                                                                                                                           Copyright © 2013 by John Newlin

No comments:

Post a Comment